Thursday, February 24, 2005

The Blue Church


The Blue Church - Bratislava

Bratislava has its charms, especially in the Old Town side, with its historical buildings and tree lined streets. Cross the Danube River, though, and you will come to grungy, densely packed, and boxy tenements, which are interesting in their own right.

Slovakians seem a lot more religious than their Czech counterparts. Catholic churches and shrines were everywhere. When I went to the Blue Church, with the intention of checking out the design, a service was in progress and was being broadcast on loudspeakers outside. Though I speak nary a word of the Slovak tongue (or Latin, for that matter), the solemn and ceremonious voice ringing out made me stop and listen. Slowly a number of people gathered outside, and we stood there silently, reverently, basking under the blue glow of art nouveau.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your blog! ;-D

Thu Feb 24, 01:48:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home